Dr. Ali Akgunduz
Department of Mechanical, Industrial and Aerospace Engineering
Published Refereed Journal Papers
1. Akgunduz, A, Jaumard, B, Moeini, G, “Deconflicted Air-Traffic Planning with Speed-Dependent Fuel-Consumption Formulation," IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Transactions, In Print August 2017
2. Wu A, Akgunduz A, “Bio-signal-Based Geometric Modeling Application for Physically Disabled Users”, Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing, First online, March 2016
3. Karimi E, Schmit K, Akgunduz A., “Using the health belief model to examine the effect of educational programs on individual protective behaviors toward seasonal influenza”, IIE Transactions on Healthcare Systems Engineering, Accepted for publication, November 2015
4. Karimi E, Schmit K, Akgunduz A., “Effect of Individual Protective Behaviors on Influenza Transmission: An Agent Based Model”, INFORMS Healthcare Management Science, 18(3):318-33, 2014
5. Wu L., Akgunduz A, “Stitching of Arbitrary Parametric Surface Patches with G1 Continuity Using B-splines”, International Journal of Applied Mathematics and Statistics, 51(21):121-130, 2014
6. Wu L., Akgunduz A, “EMG Based Online Geometric Modeling Design”, European Journal of Scientific Research, 119(2):272-279, 2014
7. Akgunduz A, Rakheja S, Tarczay A, “Distribute Occupant-Seat Interactions as an Objective Measure of Seating Comfort”, International Journal of Vehicle Design, 65(4):293-313, 2012
8. Aurup GMM, Akgunduz A, “Pair-wise Preference Comparison Using Alpha-Peak Frequencies”, Journal of Integrated Design and Process Science, 16(4), 2012.
9. Kocar, V, Akgunduz A, “ADVICE: A Virtual Environment for Engineering Change Management”, Computers in Industry, 61(1): 15-28, 2010
10. Raza SA, Akgunduz A, “The Impact of Fare Pricing Cooperation in Airline Revenue Management”, International Journal of Operational Research, 7(3):277-296, 2010
11. Dolunay B, Akgunduz A, “Automated End-User Behaviour Assessment Tool for Remote Product and System Testing”, Expert Systems With Applications, 34(4): 2511-2523, 2008
12. Raza SA, Akgunduz A, “A Comparative Study of Heuristic Algorithms on Economic Lot Scheduling Problem”, Computers and Industrial Engineering, 55(1):94-109, 2008
13. Raza SA, Akgunduz A, “An Airline Revenue Management Pricing Game with Seat Allocation”, International Journal of Revenue Management, 2(1):42-62, 2008
14. Akgunduz A, Turkmen B, Bulgak AA, “Using Financial Options in the Airline Booking Process”, Journal of Revenue & Pricing Management, 6(2): 135-150, 2007
15. Raza SA, Akgunduz A, and Chen M, “A Tabu Search Algorithm for Solving Economic Lot Scheduling Problem”, Journal of Heuristics, 12(6), 2006
16. Akgunduz A, Banerjee P, and Mehrotra S, “A Linear Programming Solution for Exact Collision Detection”, ASME Journal of Computing & Information Science in Engineering, 5(1), 2005
17. Zetu D, and Akgunduz A, “Tracking-based Depth Recovery for Virtual Reality Applications”, The Machine Vision and Applications, 16(2): 122-127, 2005
18. Zetu D, and Akgunduz A, “Shape Recovery and Viewpoint Planning for Reverse Engineering”, The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 26(11):1370-1378, 2005
19. Akgunduz A, Zetu D, Banerjee P, and Liang D, “Evaluation of Sub-component Alternatives in Product Design Process”, Robotics and Computer Integrated Manufacturing, 18 (1): 69-81, 2002
20. Akgunduz A, Banerjee P., and Mehrotra S, “Smart Collision Information Processing Sensors for Fast Moving Objects”, Smart Materials and Structures, 11 (1): 169-174, 2002
21. Akgunduz A, Zetu D, and Banerjee P, “Viewpoint-based Shape Recovery from Multiple Views”, Artificial Intelligence for Engineering Design, Analysis and Manufacturing (AI EDAM) 14 (5): 359-372, 2000
22. Turkmen, B., Bulgak, A.A., and Akgunduz A., 2006, A New Approach to the Airline Industries’ Revenue Management through Options, The Effects of Globalization in Financial Reporting (a special edition journal, ISBN: 975651616X), (a special edition journal publication of the invited extended version of the article based on the 25-29 May Conference Proceedings), pp. 93-102.
23. Raza SA, Akgunduz A, The Use of Meta-heuristics to Solve Economic Lot Scheduling Problem, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Volume 3448, Pages 190 – 201, 2005 (Special issue from EvoCOP 2005 conference)
24. Xinjian Z., Akgunduz A, Banerjee P, “Research on Collision Detection Based on Dual Model”, Journal of Computer Engineering and Applications, 39(29):105-113, 2003 (Special Issue in Virtual Reality-Invited Paper)
25. Book Chapter in “AR/VR Applications in Manufacturing” by Springer-Verlag, August 2004, Approx. 390 p. 140 illus., Hardcover, ISBN: 1-85233-796-6. Edited by Andrew Nee Yeh Ching and Ong Soh Khim: Chapter 4: “A Supervisory Data-Traffic Controller in large-scale distributed virtual reality applications” by Akgunduz A and Banerjee P.
26. Book Chapter in “Enabling Manufacturing Competitiveness and Economic Sustainability” by Springer, 2011. Edited by Dr. Hoda A. Elmaraghy. “Operator Scheduling Under the Lean Manufacturing Principles in Over-Size Product Manufacturing Facilities” by Akgunduz A, Ertogral K.
27. Kazerooni H, Akgunduz A, “A non-time segmented modeling for air-traffic flow management problem with speed dependent fuel consumption formulation”, Submitted to Computers & Industrial Engineering, June 2017
Akgunduz A, Banerjee P; Chapter 4, “A Supervisory Data-Traffic Controller in Large-Scale Distributed Virtual Reality Applications” in Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality Applications in Manufacturing – Edited by A. Y. C. Nee and S. K. Ong, Springer Verlag, August 2004.
Co-Editor: Proceedings of the 2006 Conference of the North American Fuzzy Information Processing Society (NAFIPS-06), June 3-6, 2006, Montréal, Canada.(CD, ISBN: 0-7803-9188-8)
Published Contributions to a Collective Work-Publications in Refereed Conferences
1. Capa C, Akgunduz A, “A Bi-objective Genetic Algorithm for Economic Lot Scheduling Problem Under Uncertainty”, International Workshop on Lot Sizing (IWLS) 2015, Montreal, Canada
2. Capa C, Akgunduz A, “A two-phase approach for flight gate scheduling problem”, in Proceedings of the 4th International Symposium & 26th National Conference on Operational Research, Chania, Greece, June 4-6, 2015
3. Hamou-Lhadj A, Lynch W, Akgunduz A, “COGAF: A Management Framework for Graduate Attribute Assessment”, in Proceedings of Canadian Engineering Education Association Conference, McMaster University, May 31-June 3, 2015
4. Ma S, Akgunduz A, Zeng Y, “Course Scheduling According to Student Stress”, in Proceedings of Canadian Engineering Education Association Conference, McMaster University, May 31-June 3, 2015
5. Moosavi SH, Karimi E, Schmitt K, Akgunduz A, “Cost-effective Assessment of Influenza Control Strategies”, Proceedings of the 2014 Industrial and Systems Engineering Research Conference, Montreal, May 31-June 4, 2014
6. Capa C, Akgunduz A, Demirli K, “A bi-objective Genetic Algorithm for Economic Lot Scheduling Problem Under Uncertainty”, Proceedings of the 2014 Industrial and Systems Engineering Research Conference, Montreal, May 31-June 4, 2014
7. Wu L, Akgunduz A, “User Interface Design for Artistic Expression Based on Bio-Signals: An EEG Feature Extraction Method Based on Weak Periodic Signal Detection”, Int. Conference on Innovative Design and Manufacturing, Montreal, August 13-15, 2014
8. Govind Gopakumar, Deborah Dusart-Gale, Ali Akgunduz, “Creating Faculty Buy-in: Leadership Challenges in Implementing CEAB Graduate Attributes”, Proceedings of the Canadian Engineering and Education Association, Montreal, 2013
9. Akgunduz A, Jaumard B, Moeini G, “Non-time Indexed Modeling for En-route Flight Planning with Speed - Fuel Consumption Trade-off”, Interdisciplinary Science for Innovative Air Traffic Management (ISIATM), Toulouse, France, 8-10 July, 2013
10. Jaumard, B., T.H. Hoa, H. Tian, A. Akgunduz and P. Finnie, An Enhanced Optimization Model for Scheduling Freight Trains, ASME Proceeding on Service Quality and Operations Research, JRC2013-2465, 2013
11. Jaumard B, Hoa TL, Akgunduz A, Tian H, Finnie P, “A Dynamic Row/Column Management Algorithm for Freight Train Scheduling”, 12th Workshop on Algorithmic Approaches for Transportation Modeling, Optimization and Systems (ATMOS’ 12).
12. Moeini G, Akgunduz A, Jaumard B, “An Integer Programming Approach to Air Traffic Management Problem”, Industrial Engineering and Operations Management (IEOM 2012), Istanbul, Turkey 2012.
13. Aurup GMM, Akgunduz A, “Preference Extraction from EEG: An Approach to Aesthetic Product Development”, Industrial Engineering and Operations Management (IEOM 2012), Istanbul, Turkey 2012.
14. Akgunduz A, Ertogral K, “Operator Scheduling Under the Lean Manufacturing Principles in Over-Size Product Manufacturing Facilities” The 4th International Conference on Changeable, Agile, Reconfigurable and Virtual Production (CARV 2011) Montreal, Canada on 2-5 October, 2011
15. Kocar V, Akgunduz A, "Active User Support for Engineering Changes in Product Lifecycle Management" IDPT 2007, Antalya, Turkey, June 3-8, 2007
16. Dolunay B, Akgunduz A, “Virtual Reality Based End-User Assessment Took for Remote Product/System Testing and Support”, CDEN/RCCI Conference, 24-26 July 2006, Toronto, CANADA
17. Pedrami R, Gordon BW and Akgunduz A, “Impulse / Sliding Mode Hybrid System Modeling of Interacting Rigid Body Systems:, International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronic, Xi’an, China, July 2-5, 2008
18. Fazelinia H, Rodrigues L and Akgunduz A, “A Mixed –Integer Programming Approach for Pushing a Convex Object”, 7th Portuguese Conference on Automatic Control, Lisboa, Portugal, September 2006.
19. Yu H, and Akgunduz A, “Free Form Sketching in 3D Using Uniform Spherical Reference Points”, HCI International 2005, July 2005 in Las Vegas , USA
20. Turkmen B, Bulgak AA, and Akgunduz A, “An Options Approach to Revenue Management Problem in Airlines Industries”, Conference on Effects of Globalization on Financial Reporting, Istanbul, Turkey May 2005
21. Turkmen B, Bulgak AA, and Akgunduz A, Utilization of Financial Options in Airlines Reservation Systems, Proceedings of the XXV National Operations Research/Industrial Engineering Congress, 2005
22. Akgunduz A and Yu H*, “Two-Step 3-Dimensional Sketching Tool for New Product Development”, 2004 Winter Simulation Conference (WSC '04), Washington, DC, USA, December 5-8, 2004
23. Turkmen B, Bulgak AA, and Akgunduz A, “A revenue opportunity model for airline industry for the deregulated global market”, OR/IE’2004 Operations Research / Industrial Engineering, XXIV. National Congress, Adana-Turkey, 2004
24. Akgunduz A, Banerjee P, and Mehrotra S, “Linear Programming Based Collision Detection Algorithm for Fast Moving Object”, 2004 NSF Design, Service and Manufacturing Grantees Conference/SMU-Dallas, Texas, 2004
25. Akgunduz A, Banerjee P, “A Supervisory Data-Traffic Controller in Collaborative Virtual Reality Simulations”. ASME, International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exhibition, New Orleans, November 2002
26. Banerjee P, Zetu D, and Akgunduz A, “Reconstructing Manufacturing Environments: First Step Towards Remote Facility Management”, Proceedings of the 6th International Colloquium on Material Handling Research, 2000
27. Zetu D, Banerjee P, and Akgunduz A, “Telemetry-based Depth Recovery for Virtual Factory Construction and Extension to Remote Facility Management”, Proc ASME Industrial Virtual Reality Symposium, Chicago, IL, 1999
Other Conference Presentations
1. Schmitt K, Moosavi, SH, Akgunduz A, “Modeling Mumps in a University Setting: an Agent-based Model, INFORMS Healthcare Conference, Nashville, TN, July 2015.
2. Capa C, Akgunduz A, Demirli K, A Two-phase Approach for Flight Gate Scheduling Problem, 56th CORS Annual Conference, Ottawa, May 26-28, 2014
3. Karimi E, Schmitt K, Akgunduz A, “Probabilistic risk assessment of influenza control strategies using an agent-based model” INFORMS Annual Meeting, Phoenix, AZ, 2012
4. Raza SA, Akgunduz A, “An Approximation Scheme for Pricing in Revenue Management”, Optimization Days, May 2007, Montreal, Canada
5. A. Akgunduz, S.A. Raza “An Airline Revenue Management Seat Allocation Game with Fare Pricing”, CORS , May 2006, Montreal, Canada
6. Bulgak AA, Turkmen B , and Akgunduz A, “Utilization of Financial Options in Revenue Management” CORS / Optimization Days 2006 Joint Conference, Montreal, May 8-10, 2006
7. Raza SA*, Akgunduz A “A Simulated Annealing based Heuristic to a Class of Economic Lot Scheduling Problem”, Optimization Days, May 2005, Montreal
8. Akgunduz A, “Stochastic Airline Management with Dynamic Fleet Scheduling”, The 45th annual conference of the Canadian Operational Research Society, Vancouver, June 2003
9. Akgunduz A, Banerjee P “Collaborative Simulation Between Existing Manufacturing Systems & Virtual Reality Replicas”, INFORMS, San Antonio, TX. 2000
1. Akgunduz A, Environmentally Conscious Air Transportation, Shanghai Maritime University, Shanghai, China June 2017
2. Akgunduz A, Environmentally Conscious Air Transportation, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, China June 2017
3. Akgunduz A, “CFD-VR Approach for Evaluating Building Layout Designs” Window of Opportunities in Virtual HVAC Heating, Ventilation and Air-Conditioning, is presented by the Centre for Research on Computation and its Applications (CERCA), Montreal, Canada, October 9-10, 2002