available at the M.A.Sc and PhD levels for January, May and September
I have funding for students in the following areas:
I am part of submitted
applications for funds in the following areas:
- Energy efficient short-reach VCSEL-based optical links.
- Analog and mixed-signal design for contactless ECG systems.
- Other wireline communication topics.
The process for joining my
research group is as follows:
- Mixed-signal SOC design for avionic systems.
- Mixed-signal implementations of spiking neural networks.
Are you a good fit? I am looking
- Apply! If the topics above are of interest to you and you
are a good fit with the projects, you can put me down as a potential
- Write to me to let me know that your application is
complete. Indicate the program to which you have applied and the
admission term. There is no need to email me a bunch times!
- If your application is one of the strongest, I will contact
you to arrange an interview.
Why join this research group?
- For PhD admission: An MASc degree in which you did
transistor-level analog or mixed-signal design. For MASc admission:
Strong command of MOSFET fundamentals.
- Strong GPA from past degree(s).
- Foundation in signals and systems, electronics, circuit
analysis and device physics.
- Ability to communicate verbally and in written form.
- Not too big, not too small. Big enough to have a critical
mass of great students, but small enough to get sufficient guidance
from your supervisor.
- Most projects have exciting collaboration with industry
and/or other universities.
- Like most schools in Canada, we have access to
industry-grade CAD tools and chip fabrication. Students are seeing
their designs on the bench!
I put a heavy emphasis on a prospective student's ability
to demonstrate expertise in a technical phone/skype/in-person
interview. Why? Because that's the most egalitarian way to evaluate
someone. I could refuse admission to anyone who has not attended the
most famous university in a particular country. However, my students
can go toe-to-toe against students from the most famous schools in the
world. If I want them to be evaluated based on their technical skills,
I had better consistently apply this philosophy when interviewing
For more information on past and on-going research projects, please see
page or look for our papers
in IEEE Xplore or on google
Please apply before
to me. I will contact you so we
can arrange an interview, either in person at Concordia or via Skype. I
do get inquiries by email daily, and cannot reply individually to
prospective students who have not applied to Concordia. Apply to
Concordia and then send me an email to let me know that all
your documents are