M. Mannan -- Students and Teaching
Current and Upcoming CoursesCourse content is distributed via Concordia's Moodle site.
- INSE 6120 Cryptographic Protocols and Network Security: Winter 2019
- SOEN 321: Information Systems Security: Winter 2019
Student Success Highlights
- My students published at top systems security conferences, including: NDSS 2013-16, NDSS 2019, ACM CCS 2016, and journals: ACM TISSEC, IEEE TIFS, IEEE TDSC.
- Our research has been Slashdotted several times. Other media include: BBC, CBC, CTV, ACM Technews; see press coverage.
- Xavier de Carné de Carnavalet is the first ENCS/Concordia recipient of Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship (the most prominent Ph.D. scholarship in Canada).
Prospective students: If you are interested in Ph.D., you must have at least one publication in a decent security venue. For both Ph.D. and Master's, I expect you to have the following qualities: highly motivated to solve difficult security/privacy problems; strong academic background (e.g., good university with good GPA); and strong systems knowledge and programming experience. If you meet my criteria, please send me an email with your CV and transcripts. I will definetely try to respond within a day or two.
- Philippe Fisher
- Mina Jafari
- Asif Mahbub
- Suzan Ali (co-supervised with A. Youssef)
- Tina Safaie (co-supervised with A. Youssef)
- Quentin Duchaussoy (co-supervised with A. Youssef)
- Tousif Osman (co-supervised with A. Youssef)
- Md Zakir Hossen, MASc thesis (December 11, 2018), On Understanding Permission Usage Contextuality of Android Apps
- Lianying Zhao, PhD thesis (July 23, 2018), Authentication and Data Protection under Strong Adversarial Model
- Abhimanyu Khanna, MASc thesis (April 24, 2017), Towards Usable and Fine-grained Security for HTTPS with Middleboxes (co-supervised with Prof. Jeremy Clark)
- Parul Khanna, MASc thesis (April 18, 2017), Detecting Privacy Leaks Through Existing Android Frameworks
- Briti Sundar Mondal, MASc thesis (August 24, 2016), Bintype: A Scalable Type Inference Tool for Compiled C Programs
- Arash Shahkar, MASc thesis (March 1, 2016), On Matching Binary to Source Code
- Suryadipta Majumdar, MASc thesis (September 8, 2014), On End-to-end Encryption for Cloud-based Services
- Xavier de Carné de Carnavalet, MASc thesis (April 7, 2014), A Large-scale Evaluation of High-impact Password Strength Meters
- A. Mert Kara, MASc thesis (January 10, 2014), Malicious Payload Distribution Channels in Domain Name System (co-supervised with Prof. Mourad Debbabi)
- Atieh Saberi Pirouz, MASc thesis (August 27, 2013), Securing Email through Online Social Networks
- Adam Skillen, MASc thesis (April 3, 2013), Deniable Storage Encryption for Mobile Devices
- Devirs Isler, Mitacs Globalink Intern from Zirve University, Turkey (summer 2014)
- Sebastian Proctor-Shah (NSERC USRA 2016)
- Philippe Fisher (NSERC USRA 2016)