I am an associate professor at the Department of Computer Science and Software Engineering in Concordia University . My research is focused on Service Computing, Mobile Computing and Cloud Computing. Service computing brings flexibility, interoperability, and composability to software systems. Service computing combining with mobile computing and cloud computing is going to pave the new landscape of software engineering, pervasive computing and high performance computing. I am exploring the domain from the following aspects:
- Web service modeling: formal models, such as automata, process algebra and Petri net, to model Web service
- service composition: automatic planning algorithms
- monitoring, diagnosis, repair, and reconfiguration
- personal information aid with mobile devices: marsh up, search, and composition for personal information aid.
- services over clouds, multi-tenant architecture
- My Ph.D. student Jing Li's following paper has won the Best Student Paper Award at the 11th IEEE International Conference on Service Computing (SCC 2014)
Jing Li, Yuhong Yan, and Daniel Lemire, "Full Solution Indexing Using Database for QoS-aware Web Service Composition".
- My following paper is currently the top 1 most frequently downloaded paper for IEEE Transaction on Network and Service Management:
Qiang Duan, Yuhong Yan, and Vasilakos, A.V.A, "Survey on Service-Oriented Network Virtualization Toward Convergence of Networking and Cloud Computing" .
- My following paper has won an award for "the most cited CSCWD paper 2001-2011" in 2013:
Yuhong Yan, Zakaria Maamar, and Weiming Shen, "Integration of Workflow and Agent Technology for Business Process Management", IEEE International Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work in Design (CSCWD) 2001.
- I am at the female faculty summit 2014 in Concordia University. See the full report in Concordia Now.
- LinkedIn ranked Concordia University software engineering program #6 out of 25 Canadian universities ranked, based on how successful recent graduates have been at landing desirable software development job. See
Office Hours in June 2014 - October 2015
I was in sabbatical leave from June 2014 to Nov 2014. From Nov 2014 to Oct 2015, I am in maternity leave. During this time, I will be very slow in my work. No new students or new projects will be recruited for this period. Teaching may be started from Jan 2016. Please redirect your requests to my other colleagues.
- Jing Li, Yuhong Yan, and Daniel Lemire, "Full Solution Indexing Using Database for QoS-aware Web Service Composition", 2014 IEEE Conferences on Service Computing, research track. The dataset we used in this paper can be downloaded, the Best Student Paper Award .
- Huang Jun, Guoquan Liu, Duan Qiang, and Yuhong Yan, "QoS-Aware Service Composition for Converged Network--Cloud Service Provisioning", 2014 IEEE Conferences on Service Computing, research track.
- Min Chen and Yuhong Yan, "QoS-aware Service Composition over Graphplan through Graph Reachability", 2014 IEEE Conferences on Service Computing, industrial track.
- Yifei Zhang, Jianing Wang, Yuhong Yan, "Context-aware Generic Service Discovery and Service Composition", 2014 IEEE International Conference on Mobile Services (MS 2014)
- Dario Saveliovsky, Zhou Jiayao, and Yuhong Yan, "Detecting Semantic Matching In Service Oriented System Integration", 2014 IEEE Tenth World Congress on Services (SERVICES 2014).
As a software engineering professor, I believe industrial practices are critical for enhancing my knowledge and updating my skills. I was consultant for International Civil Aviation Organization, an UN organization in Montreal. I have received funding from NSERC Engage and MITACS for industrial collaboration. I am currently consulting gamezone, a video game retailer in Montreal for Search Engine Optimization. In 2013, I established a consulting company Pigpen Technology to provide the following services:
- Web site design and development
- Search Engine Optimization, Web site promoting, online marketing
- Enterprise application project design and project review
- Technical management support and consulting
If you are looking for a supervisor for your graduate study and self-motivated, you are welcome to contact me. I am recruiting students in the directions of Web services, Web service composition, cloud computing, and software engineering. You are welcome to check my students list to see what they are doing and how they are funded.
Tip on your message to me: in order to be poped up from all the queries I receive everyday, I suggest you to include the following information in your email: 1) your transcripts from the recent program you finished or will finish; 2) what kind of topics interested you; 3) your career expectation; 4) your demand on scholarship.
Tip on funding: I give full financial support to all my students, including all my master's students. Maybe it is a wrong term to use "I give". Actually my students "earn" their money by their work. Without their work, I cannot ask for money from the funding agancies or my commerical clients. Therefore, your work is essential to get a scholarshop. I give scholarship to oversea students at Ph.D. level, not at master's level. If you are an oversea student applying for our master's program, I suggest you to apply our program online directly. You do not need a supervisor for your application. Once you are accepted and start your program, you can contact me for my supervision. Actually the best time to contact me is after your first term in our program and if your GPA>3.4.
1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. West, EV3.237
Montreal, Quebec, Canada, H3G 1M8
Tel: (514) 848-2424 ext 8715
Fax: (514) 848-2830
Email: yuhong at cse.concordia.ca